Our aim is to develop innovative modular bridge solutions.
We strive to help bring communities closer together in a quicker, more innovative, efficient and flexible way, and to become a global player.
What are mbs modular bridges?
We are inspired by the famous Bailey military bridges, developed in World War II by Donald Bailey to provide logistical support during conflicts or create new access. Due to the extensive experience of BERD and its Bridge Engineering experts, we have identified an opportunity to develop new modular bridge solutions. This technology, created more than 75 years ago, imposed operational restrictions, span lengths and adaptation flexibility and therefore its application could not meet the current demands of markets and societies.
What is our focus?
WE DEVELOP, DESIGN, MANUFACTURE AND INSTALL permanent or temporary prefabricated steel vehicular or pedestrian bridges, for sale or rental, in civil and/or military applications worldwide.
Through a rigorous manufacturing control and respecting the main international standards we guarantee the traceability of the product, ensuring high quality and reliability of our modular steel bridges. Sustainability is also a differentiating element of this product due to the optimization of resources and lower environmental impact, reducing the nature and amount of work and waste at the installation site, as well as CO2 emissions.
What is the use of an mbs modular bridge?
We list below the main applications of our MBS modular bridges, however we have tailor-made solutions to meet every client’s and installation site’s needs, so please contact us if you do not find yours here:
- Permanent and Temporary bridges
- Civil or Military (MLC110W/80T) Applications
- Logistic Support bridging
- Emergency response structures
- Replacement of damaged bridges
- Over bridging for weak structures
- Disaster Relief Bridging
Master’s Thesis by Pedro Pacheco on “Solutions of Nature for Structural Problems”
PhD Thesis by Pedro Pacheco on “Organic Prestressing System – an example of an effector system”
Application of the OPS on a real scale – Movable Scaffolding System for the construction of the Bridge over the River Sousa
BERD is incorporated
Internationalization rollout process
Movable Scaffolding System M1, operating in Turkey, establishes world record by building 90-meter spans
PhD Thesis by António André on “Study of Organic Prestressing Application in Temporary Bridges”
MBS contract for the supply of 125 modular bridges for the Peruvian Ministry of Transport and Communications
ISO 9001:2015 Certification
MBS additional contract for the supply of more 23 modular bridges for the Peruvian Ministry of Transport and Communications
Delivery of the 148 modular bridges to the Peruvian Ministry of Transport and Communications
MoU signing between MBS and India’s Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd. (GRSE)
Assembly of the first MBS Modular Bridge in Peru, Silaco Bridge
Contract to supply a modular bridge for the New Brunswick Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DTINB), Canada
Contract for the supply of 40 metal bridges for the Mozambique National Roads Administration (ANE)
José Pedro Matos Fernandes
Diogo Graça Moura
BERD is certified under ISO 9001:2015 by Bureau Veritas, confirming that we ensure our products and services meet the requirements of our valuable customers through an effective and recognized Quality Management System (QMS). Furthermore, we have a clear commitment to Quality which is expressed in our Quality Policy:
- Promote a management culture focused on the satisfaction our clients, collaborators and other stakeholders satisfaction
- Analyse faults and deviations from compliance and take the necessary steps to reduce or eliminate them
- Ensure that legal requirements and regulations applicable to the organisation and its activities are known and complied with at all times
- Promote the development of staff skills and performance assessment, to create a culture of getting it right the first time
- Develop its management models, ensuring the evaluation of its performance and continuous improvement of results
- Promote a relationship that fosters mutual benefits between suppliers and service providers, aiming to attain quality in final products and services
- Promote knowledge management and risk management
- Promote Research and Development, offering innovative and sustainable new products & services
- Promote BERD’s activities with full respect for the environment, based on the prevention of pollution, rationalisation of natural resources and preservation of biodiversity and ecosystems
- Ensure at all times knowledge of and strict compliance with legal and regulatory requirements applicable to the organisation and its activities
- Raise the awareness of employees in carrying out their activities and behaving with full respect for the environment
- Reduce the significant environmental impacts of BERD
- Invest in partnership relations with the company’s service providers to involve them in the established principles
- Whenever possible, consider the environmental factor in the establishment and acquisition of processes and technologies
- Promote the development of sustainable products and services